The Rights of the Father from his Son
Shaykh Ḥammād ibn Muḥammad al-Anṣārī رحمه الله mentioned a narration in which al-Layth ibn Sa’ad – D. 175H – رحمه الله said:
The father has ten rights over his son:
1. When he needs food, he feeds him.
2. When he needs clothing, he clothes him if he is able to and this is some of the explanations of Allāh’s statement:
وَصَاحِبْهُمَا فِى ٱلدُّنْيَا مَعْرُوفًۭا
“Behave with them kindly in the world.” • [31:15]
3. When one of his parents needs his service, he serves them.
4. When he calls him, he replies and attends to him.
5. When he commands him to do an affair, he obeys him as long as it is not an act of disobedience [to Allāh] or backbiting.
6. To speak with him with kind, soft, lenient speech.
7. To not address him by his name.
8. To walk behind him.
9. To love for him what he loves for himself and dislike for him what he dislikes upon himself.
10. To supplicate for mercy for him.
● [مختصر الحقوق حماد الأنصاري ص ٢١٦-٢١٧]